Yardley crimewave carjacker, locked up

A carjacker who targeted four vehicles in just an hour has been jailed for six years.

Tony Mitchell threatened, assaulted and terrified drivers on his way to stealing three cars and attempting to take another three in less than a week.


Yardley car jacker, jailed

The 34-year-old initially stole a Vauxhall Crossland from Kestrel Avenue at around 6.45pm on 9 April after pushing the female driver to the floor.

The vehicle was promptly involved in a minor collision and Mitchell fled the scene on foot, but unperturbed he tried to carjack a Hyundai Tucson in nearby Fieldhouse Lane soon after.

Despite pushing the driver to the floor and punching him he failed in his efforts; and also in trying to take a VW Polo from the Swan Centre after threatening to stab the motorist.

Mitchell did force a driver to stop his Nissan Qashqai in Croft Road, pulling him from his seat and to the floor, as he took the vehicle at around 7.45pm.

After laying low for a short while he struck again on Sunday 14 April when he approached a man who was parking up a Volvo on Clopton Road, Garretts Green, around 3.20pm.

Despite stabbing the driver in his hands with his own keys he left empty-handed but was successful in stealing a VW Golf from Cockshut Hill just half an hour later.

Mitchell approached the female owner who was at a cashpoint, and flung her to the floor, before taking the car keys and making off with the Golf.

He was arrested after the final victim identified him in the same area just two days later and members of the public helped detain him until officers arrived.

CCTV and other quick time enquiries enabled officers to link Mitchell to all six incidents and he was charged with the robberies and attempted robberies.

Mitchell, of Church Road, Yardley, admitted his crime spree and was sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court.

Detective Constable Craig Tennant, from force CID, said:

“This was a terrifying crime spree where Mitchell had no hesitation in using violence to try and get what he wanted.

“He was unperturbed by failure and just continued until he got his hands on a vehicle. 

“He was bravely restrained by members of the public after being recognised by his last victim and quickly arrested by officers.

“We were then able to promptly link him to the series of crimes which had horrified the community. This scale of crime was shocking and hopefully this sentence will provide some comfort and reassurance to the people of Yardley.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s